Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mary Engelbreit Takes My Cupcake

Mary Engelbreit and Heather Morrow

I have just returned from the 2009 Craft & Hobby Show in Anaheim, California. It was a crazy four days filled with 10 art classes and a huge wholesale vendor show with a ton of "make-and-take" projects to highlight how to use their products.

I ordered quite a bit for my Creative Souls Workshops, so look out -- the projects this Spring are going to be out of this world.

One of the highlights of the show was, meeting Mary Engelbreit, artist and entrepreneur. Her magazine (ME), which is no longer going to be published, has taken crafting and scrapbooking to a whole new level. In addition, her illustrations have been published in hundreds of books and licensed for everything from Christmas decorations to cookie jars. In my world she is best known for her "Henry" Scottie design.

My friend Marie and I had heard that she was going to be at one of the booths, but we had no idea where, let alone when. About mid-afternoon, I stopped at a "make-and-take" project table at the Plaid booth. We were using their new line of glitter paints (which I ordered) to decorate ceramic cupcakes. While I painted glitter on the cupcake, Marie went to pick-up another project we had done earlier in the day.

Marie returned and we moved onto the next "make-and-take" project table in the booth; however, it was being closed down. When we asked why, we were told that Mary Engelbreit would be arriving at any moment and they were using the space for her. We couldn't believe our luck and we were not about to give up our front row space.

When I met Mary, I was holding the freshly glittered cupcake (bottom of the photo) and she asked if it was for her. I told her sure, but that it was still wet. She didn't hear the it is "still wet" part and went to grab it. Needless to say, her hands were covered in glitter paint. As they scrambled to get something to help her clean-up, I left the cupcake off to the side to dry and my business card.

It was great fun and I don't think she will ever forget me because of the glitter painted cupcake she took home.

No comments: